/**/ The Purposeful Wife: Book Review: The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half

Friday, January 20, 2012

Book Review: The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half


 I was very excited and optimistic at the title of this book. Can I really learn to cut my already small grocery budget in half?!?!? Because that would be thrilling.

Like most present-day Americans, I tend to long for instant gratification. Shame on me. Stephanie Nelson shows us that cutting your grocery bills in half is possible, but it takes hard work and doesn't happen over night.

I appreciate how she divides up her advice, in each chapter she has hints for Busy, Rookie and Varsity shoppers (based on the amount of time you have to invest in saving and your level of experience). So no matter where you are on the journey of learning to save while shopping, she has tips for you!

Included in her book are chapters on "going green" (savings on organic food and products), gardening, and how to find the best deals at wholesale clubs and drugstores. She even has a collection of favorite recipes in the back, with cost per serving included.

The Coupon Mom's real life price examples were inspiring. I really want to walk into a CVS and come out with $30 worth of toiletries only $8 less the richer! Again, this is going to take practice and time. But I was encouraged to START couponing in the hopes of some day getting there.

Another helpful tool is her price breakdowns of the things we daily consume without thinking, like milk and flour and eggs. It put the cost of food into a clearer perspective for me, and is something I would do well to consider as I cook and shop and eat.

The only troubling thing to me is that I am still having difficulty navigating her site. Personally I find Crystal Paine's Money Saving Mom site a bit easier and more helpful. Have you had success on Coupon Mom? If so, can you tell me how it works??? :) I must be slow, because even after reading the entire chapter on how to use her site I am still confused.

Over all a helpful read, and one I will be referring back to as my coupon journey progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...