/**/ The Purposeful Wife: Close Knit Couples Have Fun

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Close Knit Couples Have Fun

Photo Credit
As we've covered the different elements of a close knit marriage; local church involvement, reading, prayer, communication, and filling Biblical roles; I would be remiss if I failed to mention this important point: close knit couples have fun together.

In all of your labors both physical and spiritual, make sure to incorporate times for relaxation and fun. Play games, watch movies, go for a walk, get out to eat, see a play, laugh together. Share that amusing YouTube video that you found today with your husband. Incorporate fun traditions into your family life that you both relish celebrating together. Do something out of the ordinary like hitting up a local carnival, or visiting a random museum or tourist attraction.

In our house we CELEBRATE the weekends!!! Friday mornings I try to make something fun and extra delicious for breakfast. When Niall comes home from work that night it is time for homemade pizza and a movie. On snow days we like to stay in our pajamas and have cinnamon rolls and drink tea in bed.

The first year after we got married Niall and I performed in our community's Shakespeare in the park together. It was a big time commitment and kept us super busy, but it was fun because we were doing something we  both loved together.

What interests do you and your husband share? How can you invest in these interests together? Be creative and find ways to have a good time together!

Are there things that your husband enjoys which are not your cup of tea? Muster up your best attitude and watch that football game with him, or go fishing, or whatever. My husband is obsessed with shooting. I did once venture to the range with him to give his pistol a try. It wasn't my favorite thing to do, and to my chagrin I must confess that I haven't gone since. *Honey, I know you are reading this, so please try to contain your excitement and refrain from rubbing it in :)* As a loving wife I need to get out there with him again and learn to enjoy the things that he enjoys with him.

Which of your husbands interests appeal to you least? And how can you participate in them with a cheerful attitude?

So now I am curious to hear from you. How do you and your husband have a good time together? Please share :)!   

Linked Up With: Women Living Well, Raising Homemakers, and Encourage One Another                                                                         

10 comments:

  1. I grew up in a non-sports family. My hubs' family has a team to cheer for in every season, every sport. Its been almost ten years and I'm still getting used to it. I am happy to provide snacks for game days, etc, but I am still working on actually getting into it myself. But I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Wani! Providing snacks is definitely a loving thing to do :).

      Delete
  2. I've "busted a few knuckles" with your dad on his midlife Chryster & he's strolled a few art galleries with me. We both think a big juicy burger is fun. Good counsel, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama. Mmm, juicy burgers.... you're making me hungry :).

      Delete
  3. Ironically, this is something my husband and I have been talking about in our marriage. Isn't it crazy to think that it really is something you need to work on? One thing we do enjoy doing together is watching a movie on Netflix (unless he gets to choose, and then it's usually a documentary! You know you love your man when you'll watch one on Calvin ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good woman Lacey :). My husband usually picks sci-fi or action... and even though they are not the types of movies I'd pick in the end I usually do enjoy them :). Yeah a documentary makes for a thrilling Friday night, huh? ;)

      Delete
  4. I couldn't agree more with what you're saying! The best memories that my husband and I have are naturally all the times that we have fun together, even if it's something small like staying in all day and watching movies. For everyday fun we just like to tease around with one another and make jokes. For weekends we love to go to places that we both enjoy like the zoo and the bookstore. My husband is obsessed with shooting too, which I told him when our son starts walking we can go camping so he can shoot (it's a bow, I don't know what to call it!). Thanks for this encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jessica :). All good ideas you're sharing :). I love joking around with my husband too :). It is so sweet to laugh a lot in life with the one you love.

      Delete
  5. This is a great post! Finding fun things to do together is something my husband and I work on, as well. He likes to go shooting, and I have also only been once...the time I went, a hot bullet casing bounced off the wall and onto my skin! I will be wearing long-sleeved turtlenecks only to the range from now on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! You are brave to go back again Malisa :). Now that is love!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...