/**/ The Purposeful Wife: Domestic Projects of 2012 Review

Friday, December 21, 2012

Domestic Projects of 2012 Review

Due to finally becoming a SAHM, and having 6 months of lockdown for our sweet preemie, I had a lot of time on my hands in 2012. It was a year of exploration and adventure on the domestic front ;). Here is a review of some of the new projects I tackled:

S enjoying yogurt finger paint- homemade yogurt with food coloring :)

Homemade Yogurt. After trying many recipes, I finally found my favorite via Keeper of the Home. Though it is a bit work intensive (30 minutes or so of active prep time), it always turns out delightfully thick.Yum! S loves it, and it makes excellent smoothies. My only issue is that the half gallon of organic milk that I buy every two weeks to make it is kind of pricy. I need to find coupons or something, to make this not only health effective, but cost effective. Any tips from the frugal crowd welcome!


Homemade Laundry Detergent. Easy to make, I'm still using the same batch I made in September-
with over half of it still left! I do have a few issues with the stuff :(. 1) It does not remove even the lightest spots or stains, so I have to be very vigilant with the Shout. 2) My towels stink. If you make your own laundry detergent, have you had the same problems? Any troubleshooting advice? And what recipe do you use? I'm not thrilled about mine, so I'm still looking to tweak it.


Canning Tomatoes. In August I was privileged to spend a day in the home of one of the ladies from my church. I brought cans and tomatoes, and she shared with me her 40+ years of canning experience and wisdom. While it was a fun day, and having the cans of tomatoes on hand has been handy, I'm not sure that I will can every year. Although, it would certainly be more cost effective if I did, now that I have all of the mason jars I could possibly need!


Homemade Bagels. Oh yum. I probably make these every single week, or at least every other. They are a family favorite! Warning: every store bought bagel you eat after making your own will be a major disappointment. My only issue is that they are made with white, unsoaked flour- totally bad for you. Trina Holden (and other expert soakers)- do you have any suggestions for tweaking this recipe to make it more nourishing?

I am hoping to accomplish even more DIY type projects in 2013, Lord willing! Projects that cut down on our budget, encourage healthiness, and enrich our family. I've already been brainstorming, and hope to share my list with you next week sometime!

What new projects did you try in 2012? What do you hope to try in the New Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...